Review and read others' reviews - about movies, TV-series, books, music albums, concerts, games - to give and get advice on what's considered good or bad.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Godzilla (2014)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cheavy

PostSubject: Godzilla (2014)   Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:17 am

I've never really been a huge fan of giant monsters somehow mysteriously appearing on the earth (trying to explain it probably makes it worse) and then start to stomp threw the city accidentally (and maybe sometimes purposefully) stomping on humans that run around like panicky ants, but I decided to give this remake (or rebooted?) version a go to see how Godzilla has been modernized.

The movie wasn't very good in my opinion and to say why, well, for one I felt that the main characters were not likable. I mean, there is some background story introduced, but it was just hard to identify and it really felt that no one  took charge. And maybe that was intentional because the main character was suppose to be Godzilla who appears from the depths of the sea with only one job in mind; to kill these other two monsters, known as MUTOs who eat radiation like it's nobodies business--at one point, chomping on sealed nukes like cracker snacks.

Even though Godzilla has the honor of holding the movie title, he was in it like a cameo, maybe ten or fifteen minutes at most. Which I guess is fine; you can only stare at a giant monster destroying and fighting things for so long, but even at his times of showing, Godzilla didn't shine as a great and stunning main, but at least he only had one blaring line and he actually performed that quite well.

All in all, I'm not sure what I was expecting. Maybe for it to at least be somewhat entertaining. But after a while, it gets old watching humans make the same terrible mistakes by trying to challenge empire state sized creatures and expect to take them down, but us humans still have to try, because doing nothing and just watching Godzilla vs. MUTOs would be even worse for us viewers.

I know there have been Japanese and American movies about Godzilla over the years. None of which I can remember, so I can't really see how this movie compares or stands up to the classics and remakes. But as its own movie, I'd say kinda disappointing and anti-climactic.

^Oh, hey, Heisenberg is in this movie !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockRosen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:39 am

Oh my, I read this the day you put it up but forgot to respond...!

I actually haven't seen a single Godzilla movie, would you say it's worth watching just to have seen the Classic story of Godzilla? It does sound like a very frustrating movie though...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thereviews.topdiscussion.com
Cheavy

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:55 pm

Sure. As I've said, I don't remember the older US or Japanese versions, so what's better, I don't know, but if you what some classic idea of what Godzilla is, well, I don't think you can go wrong with this film.

Hm...frustrating is a word for it, but I'd say mainly just...idiotic. But Godzilla can throw up a dazzling blue flame, so it's automatically really cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockRosen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:20 am

Hah. Well. Feels like not even that blue flame will turn on any further interest for Godzilla...
Back to top Go down
Cheavy

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:35 am

Well...apparently there's a name for it. Atomic breath. Who knew?

^ I just couldn't let you not see it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uneducated Thug
Royal Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:22 am

Thanks for the warning Cheavy but i wouldn't have watched this movie anyway, it should be called " OMGodzilla, not another one". How many Godzilla and King Kong movies do the human race need, and the thing is, every single movie about King Kong etc etc is crap, they're all utter garbage, why do we need another one. Who decided to make another Godzilla movie, and which madman gave the lunatic the money to make the movie.

I feel exactly the same way about Batman and Superman.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockRosen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:23 am

Well it does seem like Hollywood can't come up with original and new ideas doesnt it..
Back to top Go down
Cheavy

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:59 pm

One of these times, I think they'll get it right. I'm just waiting for when they decide to reboot all their remakes.. again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   

Back to top Go down

Godzilla (2014)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1