Review and read others' reviews - about movies, TV-series, books, music albums, concerts, games - to give and get advice on what's considered good or bad.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Mando Diao (2014)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RockRosen
Admin

PostSubject: Mando Diao (2014)   Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:59 pm

I'm not 100% sure if all of you have heard of the Swedish band Mando Diao, as they're quite well known overaseas (having performed at Rock am Ring which does say something), not least with songs like Gloria and Dance with somebody. The video above is another hit they've made of a poem which has been very popular in Sweden, and yes the vid is from the concert I was at.

It had been raining just an hour before they went on stage, right on time - which sure isn't usual for bands eh. Mando isn't a band I've collected albums of but the two English songs already mentioned are more than enough to make me wanna go see this great band and get nostalgic. Which I did do and which I did get.

When I first got there, wet asphalt under my feet, pitch black sky above my head, lots of people around me, two guys in front of me turns to me and asks which band this is - the band that just has begun to play. Well, I say and look at the stage, at the white-dressed men with what looks like karate belts around their head, and say "I thought it was gonna be Mando Diao" So did they, they told me. And one of them turned to ask the person standing next to them who answered that it was indeed Mando Diao up there. For one thing, I'd imagined they'd look somewhat like how they'd look like the last time I'd seen them on TV:

but found them (not less attractively) like this (only in white):

A very nice update I must say anyways.

They opened up with several quite calm songs before they got off more speedy. It felt a bit spiritual, as Gustaf Norén (to the right) said prayers in English for a deceased man and later on gave a speech about how important it is that grown ups shall not stand behind children in wartime and suffering, but in front of them - ready to take a bullet for them and not let them face things like that alone. A spiritual authority in a way, and it didn't bother me as I gave him my applause just like everybody else did. What I really applauded though was their energy and sound. Gustaf obviously being the most physically active one of the two front men; Björn Dixgård being the other one - the seemingly down-to-earth vocalist with the characteristic raspy wonderful voice. It's a joy to see and hear them complement each other.

After having asked several times which day it was - having gotten the reply "Lördag" (Saturday) by the audience, Gustaf throws away his microphone "in anger” and it bounces away over the stage. They ask again and gets the same reply - obviously it's time for Black Saturday. It's actually friday.

They finished the first act with Gloria. One of their biggest hits, and ofc the audience sang along as they did an extra long version of the song. A song I've listened to many many times during the years. When they came back onto the stage, Gustaf is preparing everybody for their other well played hit Dance with somebody - by breathing into an oxygen mask. And then everybody gets loose - dancing, people from maybe 18 or even younger up to 50 year olds, maybe older ones.

Their latest album Aelita, which I'm definately consideringn adding to my record-collection.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thereviews.topdiscussion.com
RockRosen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mando Diao (2014)   Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:18 pm

Got the wonderful white-coloured vinyl "Aelita" at my birthday, splendid!

Seems like they're always making their vinyls coloured:

Back to top Go down
Uneducated Thug
Royal Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Mando Diao (2014)   Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:28 pm

Where do i start, i was hoping to hear a newish band at least new to me that made me want to go and buy their album. Just for the record i listened to their Greatest Hits Volume 1. What i actually ended up hearing is a decent pub band that can probably put on a decent/passable gig, but unfortunately they have no songs at all. Ive always been dubious about bands/artists that feel the need to wear a uniform/outfit especially for gigs, i thought we'd seen the back of all the uniform type bands when the dumbed down stop pretending they like 5th rate metal. I'd be slightly shocked if this band have any success outside Sweden, I'm a little amazed that they've had any success at all. What they're missing is a songwriter with some talent, you cant just power chord your way through song after song and hope that your producer can make it sellable. Its all been done before by better bands with much better songs.

Sorry to be such a downer RR, but there's no point in not telling the truth is there.

I'm seriously considering recommending unsigned  bands go to Sweden, if Mando Diao can get signed and have some success then there's hope for everyone isn't there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockRosen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mando Diao (2014)   Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:22 pm

Theyre Indeed very successful in Sweden, and in some other countries as far as I know. The outfit thing is new for this year, as the sound.

I guess you saw their previous stage outfit as well:

So hardcore.

I like their music and the feeling they bring out, maybe you must've heard them for years and have a sort of relationship to their music to see what's good about it. Id be surprised if i met a Swede who hadnt heard dance with somebody or gloria. Maybe it's just me. The blonde man in the newest photos are the writer of the lyrics. I think his Swedish poems made into lyrics such as the one I post here above have added a new group of listeners as well.
Back to top Go down
Uneducated Thug
Royal Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Mando Diao (2014)   Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:11 am

I wasn't trying to wind you up or offend you. Smile

Do you think that i should give them another chance?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockRosen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mando Diao (2014)   Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:21 am

Did I act like you had? No if they're not your cup of tea theres no point in making you swallow it is it. I've just let you sip on it, you thought it was disgusting, a few years from now you might think it's more interesting to try and like it or you'll remember how disgusting it was, Smile
Back to top Go down
Uneducated Thug
Royal Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Mando Diao (2014)   Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:24 am

No you didn't act like i had, i re-read my post and thought id better let you know i wasn't being a dick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockRosen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mando Diao (2014)   Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:32 am

Im sorry you can't get me offended, must be frustrating.

Back to top Go down
Uneducated Thug
Royal Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Mando Diao (2014)   Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:36 am

I would never try to offend you RR, i don't know what could have put such a thought in your mind.

You're not still pissed off about the tattoo thread thing are you?

Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockRosen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mando Diao (2014)   Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:38 am

Haha, as if I ever were. Remember you're the one who brought the being offended thing up.
Back to top Go down
Uneducated Thug
Royal Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Mando Diao (2014)   Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:41 am

Im obviously wrong on all counts, what can i say. All i can do is apologize.

RR, why is it that you're always right and im always wrong?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockRosen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mando Diao (2014)   Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:55 am

Youre missing the point, no need to apologize.

Last edited by RockRosen on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Uneducated Thug
Royal Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Mando Diao (2014)   Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:57 am

Wrong again, im lost for words, even after apologizing im still wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockRosen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mando Diao (2014)   Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:03 am

Smile

Back to top Go down
Uneducated Thug
Royal Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Mando Diao (2014)   Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:36 am

It'd be a shame for such a entertaining thread to not have a decent tune posted somewhere.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mando Diao (2014)   

Back to top Go down

Mando Diao (2014)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Reviews :: Reviews :: Music :: Concerts-
Jump to: