Review and read others' reviews - about movies, TV-series, books, music albums, concerts, games - to give and get advice on what's considered good or bad.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Imitation Game (2014)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RockRosen
Admin

PostSubject: The Imitation Game (2014)   Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:49 am

Spoilers alert.

I just got home from the cinema. I watched a slice of history. The story of how a secret became a secret which no longer is a secret. The explanation of how I am able to share this with you right away - the making of the very first computer. It's also a story about human norms and how they change overtime.

Benedict Cumberbatch plays Alan Turing, a man who in 2013 became recognised and honoured for his actions during WW2 by the Queen of England. It's tragic he wasn't alive to notice it. Alan probably had Aspergers Syndrome, a state of being that wasn't recognised as anything other than being weird, peculiar and arrogant in the 20s-50s during which time the film is set. And so he was treated as he was, differently. He got bullied, was an outsider but did have one very good friend in school. A boy named Christopher, who introduces Alan to codes and encryption as they're both too smart to find the ordinary math classes challenging, is Alan's only friend. Is Alan's only love. Who dies.

The movie makers make you travel back and forth in time, showing scenes of when Alan was a boy, of how he worked on his 100 000 pound machine with a team of men who didn't like him, a Russian spy and a woman (Keira Knightly) who became his fiancé. The machine was named Christopher, and it would eventually break the German encryption code Enigma and be the forefather of our computers. We've been told Americans invented the computer. Why? For England to keep their secret weapon for future wars. Thanks to Alan's computer, a strategy ”game" formed the war - decided who'd live and who'd die, as they knew all the German plans but couldn't tell anyone about it, not even the English military itself, as it'd ruin the secret. The war is said to have been decreased by two years, and the casualties minimized thanks to this strategy; of counterstriking the Germans just about as much as possible without making the Germans wonder how they knew every move they'd make. As homosexuality was a crime in England back then, Alan was given a choice: going to jail or getting hormone treatment until he'd "no longer fancy men". A year after he'd begun taking the hormones, he committed suicide at the age of 41.

I liked this movie very much as it was a sensitive display of such a significant man in history. Several thoughts about social norms are being brought up; about gender equality, norms of behaviour and what's considered criminal or not - to mention just a few.    
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thereviews.topdiscussion.com
Lahm

PostSubject: Re: The Imitation Game (2014)   Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:10 pm

I've been thinking of watching this for quite some time now, I'll give it a try before reading the full review because I randomly read "who dies" so I guess I'll better watch it and then read your review. Be back next week since I think I'll watch it this weekend!

RockRosen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Imitation Game (2014)   Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Alright, looking forward to it. And good to see you around!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thereviews.topdiscussion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Imitation Game (2014)   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1